Baby Emmett, breastfeeding, NICU

NICU day 71

After the drama late last night with E’s bad reaction to his shots, the nurse ended up putting him back on wall oxygen at 1 liter and gave him some Tylenol for his fever. He actually ended up having a pretty calm overnight and a relatively uneventful day today. This morning they were able to put him back on the tank and gradually turned him back down to 1/64 liter and he stayed there the rest of the day. He still had a fair number of desats today, but they were brief and only into the low 80s/occasionally high 70s — nothing like the scary 32 percent desat he had last night.

I had a pretty long conversation with his doctor today, and he feels confident last night was just a bad reaction to the vaccines, and that the worst is behind us. He also believes by the time his four month shots come around, he’ll be big and strong enough to handle them without any major issues. I’ll definitely bring it up with his pediatrician when the time comes to see if she recommends staggering them at all instead of doing them all at once. I will say, despite what happened last night, I’m still 100 percent pro-vaccine and believe the benefits far outweigh any negatives. As scary as last night was for me, he was in good hands and never in any real danger. At the end of the day, I trust his doctors know what they’re doing, and I trust that his pediatrician will know what to do in two months.

Another interesting conversation I had with his doctor today was around his progress and eventual release. He surprised me by stating the only thing still keeping him here are his feeding issues. He’s gaining weight like a champ (and is up another 40 grams tonight, bringing him to 6 lbs 4 oz), and he’s on the lowest oxygen support possible — a level of support we could actually go home with (though I’d still prefer not to, and the doctor thinks it’s unlikely we will either). The occasional desats E has are a product of shallow breathing and breathing pauses, but not any central apneic issues — and we’ve seen firsthand that bumping up his oxygen eliminates them altogether. The doctor said IF we had to bring him home on oxygen, they’d have us turn it up to somewhere around 1/8 liter, which is more than he needs, but would ensure he didn’t desat. So in theory, he could figure out nursing tomorrow and go home in a few days. Which is crazy. Also, highly unlikely. The more likely scenario is that he will take a few more weeks to figure it out, during which time he’ll kick his oxygen habit altogether as well. To be honest, I’d be okay spending a few more weeks here and getting to bring him home completely healthy and “wireless.” As long as this road has been, it would feel like it wasn’t quite over — like part of it had followed us home — if he came home still on oxygen.

It’s exciting to see how close we’re getting. I’m looking forward to closing this chapter on our lives and leaving the NICU behind for good.


Baby Emmett, breastfeeding, friends & family, NICU

NICU day 70

Today was mostly good, but ended pretty rough. E got his two-month vaccines this morning and had been having a few more desats all day, but they were all brief and nothing too low — mostly mid-80s and only for a few seconds. Then late this evening, he suddenly started having a ton, along with a few bradys. At one point his oxygen dropped down to 32 percent, which was really scary for me. It’s never gone that low before. His temperature was also 38.2C (100.8F). The nurse wasn’t too worried and said sometimes babies just don’t react well to vaccines and that he’d be better in a couple days. She ordered him some Tylenol for the fever, which should also help with his desatting (he was holding his breath because he’s uncomfortable, which was causing his oxygen to drop). She turned his oxygen up to 1 liter (it had been at 1/64 all day) to give him a boost, and that seemed to help.

He’s now sleeping in my arms and satting at 100 percent, which is higher than it should be, but they don’t want to turn it back down until he proves he’s doing better. It’s after midnight and I’m exhausted, but I’m afraid to put him back down. It’s going to be a long night.