Baby Emmett, breastfeeding, NICU

NICU day 71

After the drama late last night with E’s bad reaction to his shots, the nurse ended up putting him back on wall oxygen at 1 liter and gave him some Tylenol for his fever. He actually ended up having a pretty calm overnight and a relatively uneventful day today. This morning they were able to put him back on the tank and gradually turned him back down to 1/64 liter and he stayed there the rest of the day. He still had a fair number of desats today, but they were brief and only into the low 80s/occasionally high 70s — nothing like the scary 32 percent desat he had last night.

I had a pretty long conversation with his doctor today, and he feels confident last night was just a bad reaction to the vaccines, and that the worst is behind us. He also believes by the time his four month shots come around, he’ll be big and strong enough to handle them without any major issues. I’ll definitely bring it up with his pediatrician when the time comes to see if she recommends staggering them at all instead of doing them all at once. I will say, despite what happened last night, I’m still 100 percent pro-vaccine and believe the benefits far outweigh any negatives. As scary as last night was for me, he was in good hands and never in any real danger. At the end of the day, I trust his doctors know what they’re doing, and I trust that his pediatrician will know what to do in two months.

Another interesting conversation I had with his doctor today was around his progress and eventual release. He surprised me by stating the only thing still keeping him here are his feeding issues. He’s gaining weight like a champ (and is up another 40 grams tonight, bringing him to 6 lbs 4 oz), and he’s on the lowest oxygen support possible — a level of support we could actually go home with (though I’d still prefer not to, and the doctor thinks it’s unlikely we will either). The occasional desats E has are a product of shallow breathing and breathing pauses, but not any central apneic issues — and we’ve seen firsthand that bumping up his oxygen eliminates them altogether. The doctor said IF we had to bring him home on oxygen, they’d have us turn it up to somewhere around 1/8 liter, which is more than he needs, but would ensure he didn’t desat. So in theory, he could figure out nursing tomorrow and go home in a few days. Which is crazy. Also, highly unlikely. The more likely scenario is that he will take a few more weeks to figure it out, during which time he’ll kick his oxygen habit altogether as well. To be honest, I’d be okay spending a few more weeks here and getting to bring him home completely healthy and “wireless.” As long as this road has been, it would feel like it wasn’t quite over — like part of it had followed us home — if he came home still on oxygen.

It’s exciting to see how close we’re getting. I’m looking forward to closing this chapter on our lives and leaving the NICU behind for good.


2 thoughts on “NICU day 71”

  1. This is so exciting to be talking about exit strategies. Even if its several weeks it must be nice to know youve come so far. E, you look wonderful!

    We are by far pro-vaccers and I delayed both kids hep B series until they were older, so that one didnt follow conventional timing. I never had to stagger beyond that. Basically with B I was a new mom and terrified of side effects, and with E I felt she was 2 small and could wait until 2 months. It all worked out great. Then again, I have a rule about how many pokes at once and my ped/ped nurse know that so we always chat. You’ll instinctively know what you want to do when the time comes.

  2. Amanda he looks so good and filling out well. Will pray for his nursing skills to improve and that he will come home off oxygen. Love you guys. Aunt Norma

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s